Muffatwerk is located in an area with major importance for the development of the city of Munich. In the course of a fierce power struggle between ”Heinrich der Löwe” (Henry the Lion, duke of Bavaria and Saxony) and the bishop of Freising, Henry the Lion destroyed a bridge named “Oberföhringer Isarbrücke” crossing the Isar river to the north to create a transportation route via the stream on his part. He constructed a solid bridge, approximately at the height of Muffatwerk, in place of a narrow ford - today’s “Ludwigsbrücke.” Solely by this means he was able to gain control over the salt trade between Munich and Augsburg. As a consequence of this, in 1158 he was awarded the rights to hold markets, mint and issue coins and to collect taxes by Emperor Barbarossa. In medieval times it was common to circulate own coins and to collect duties for the use of trade routes, in such locations where the most important items of trade like salt were marketed. Precisely this position of economic power facilitated the economic and cultural growth of the city of Munich.

Today, a complex of bridges crossing the Isar river, including “Ludwigsbrücke,” “Mariannenbrücke,” and “Kabelsteg” (one of the first bridges constructed of reinforced concrete) is located within eyeshot of Muffatwerk. This ensemble of bridges has been consistently amplified over the centuries, due to its importance regarding urban development, architecture and art history. Located on the opposing waterfront is the “Praterinsel” which is home to the “Alpines Museum” and the former liqueur factory Anton Riemerschmied. Bordering southbound is the “Museumsinsel” (housing the “Deutsches Museum”).
Directly adjacent to the beer garden of Muffatwerk sprawl sweeping gravel banks including the monumental dam of the “Prater” power plant and numerous bathing areas alongside the river. The mellow yellow Art Nouveau chimney of Muffatwerk is visible over a long distance - towering lofty above the dense and mature tree population of a lush urban meadow landscape.
In alliance with the “Deutsches Museum,” the biggest museum of science and technology in the world, the “Gasteig,” headquarters of the “Münchner Philharmoniker” (Munich Philharmonic), and “Müller’sches Volksbad” (a public indoor swimming pool built in Art Nouveau style), Muffatwerk is part of a vibrant scene of international entertainment, education, art, culture, and recreation in the smallest of places right in the heart of Munich.


Originally, a single fountain house, securing the water supply for the neighbourhood named “Haidhausen,” stood at the site of today’s ensemble of buildings. It was constructed in 1837 by “Stadtbaurat” (planning director) and architect Franz Karl Muffat.

In 1973 the power station was shut down. After the temporary use of the building for diverse purposes - amongst others as indoor tennis court fort the sports club of “Stadtwerke” (Munich City Utilities - SWM) - the City of Munich was able to clear the area for cultural use, in 1992. Bearing in mind the protection of historic monuments as well as the high demands concerning engineering, technology and logistics, the building was converted into a multifunctional cultural center.

In einem öffentlichen Ausschreibungsverfahren, das Dietmar Lupfer und Christian Waggershauser für sich entschieden, konnte die Muffathalle an die beiden privaten Betreiber übergeben werden. Seit ihrer Eröffnung 1993 wird sie als public-private-partnership geführt.

By means of modification and rehabilitation the entire floor space for events has been increased from 1100 to 3000 sqm. As a consequence of this amplification it seemed only natural to change the name “Muffathalle” (hall = one main facility) to “Muffatwerk” (site/factory = accumulation of facilities) in 2008.

Nowadays, the former turbine hall of the hydropower station is housing “Muffathalle” and “Muffatcafé.” The original boiler house built in Greek Revival style has been remodelled by a team of emerging architects and, today, accommodates the club “Ampere” and the headquarters of “Muffathalle Betriebs GmbH” (Limited Liability Company).